tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 31 10:06:36 1997

Re: KLBC: Short and Easy [James] [Not so short and easy]

In article <[email protected]>, "William H.
Martin" <[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 26 Dec 1997 10:26:19 -0800 (PST) James Coupe
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In article <[email protected]>, "William H.
>> Martin" <[email protected]> writes
>> >
>> >It really helps to cite page numbers so we can look up the
>> >larger context in examples like this. Anyway, {latlh HIVje'Daq}
>> >is not an indirect object. It is a locative. It simply tells you
>> >where the action of the verb occurs.
>>
>> First of all, apologies for my appaling example but it was the best I
>> could think of at the time.  Anyway, what is the difference between:
>>
>> I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass
>>
>> and
>>
>> I give the ball to you.
>
>Let's add a little detail and this may become more clear. I pour
>cold bloodwine into a glass for you. Now, you can see that the
>benefactor of the pouring is "you", so "you" is the indirect
>object. "Into a glass" is just the location where the pouring
>took place. It is not the indirect object. It is just a
>locative. The bloodwine is the direct object while "I" is the
>subject.

Okay, I believe you.  As I said (at one point) I'm not a grammarian and
you are (were).

<snip>

>I sit in a chair or on a table. I would never sit on a chair or
>in a table.

Really?  How interesting.  Must be a dialect thing.  I sit on a chair
all the time.  Never sit in a table, of course.

>The wine glass is not sentient

Come on.  This is the 24th century we're talking about here.  Wine
glasses have got to have achieved sentience by now }};)

--
tlhIbwI'

Back to archive top level