tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 26 07:35:31 1997

Re: KLBC: mail cha'Dich

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997 15:13:03 -0800 (PST) Matias Chiodi
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Thank you all for helping me ! I wrote my mail again to
> correct my errors, but I still have a doubt: what's wrong with
> the spelling for {a'} and the words with apostrophe ?

You won't find {a'} in TKD just like you won't find {av} in TKD.
You will find {va} and {'a}. The apostrophe is just a letter,
like the {v}. You can't reverse the spelling and expect people
to understand what you are writing.

I'll translate what you have written so you can know where to go
back and make corrections.

> nuqneH!
> jIH Matias.

If you reverse this word order, you'd be saying "I am the
Matias." As is, you are saying "Matias monitors." If you are
trying to say that your name is Matias, the two most common
methods are:

*Matias* 'oH pongwIj'e'.

jIHvaD *Matias* ponglu'.

A special rule allows this last version to be shortened to:

*Matias* vIponglu'.

If that is confusing, just ignore it. It will make sense later
after you have more of a foundation with the language. It uses
several somewhat arcane exceptions to more typical Klingon
grammar.

> Matu juppu'wIj mupong.

I can't translate this. The word order is most confusing. If you
said, {*Matu* mupong juppu'wI'} it would be a rather advanced
way of saying, "My friends call me Matu." The more common way to
say it would be {jIHvaD *Matu* pong jupppu'wI'.} Note that your
friends likely can use language, so the suffix is {-wI'}, not
{-wIj}.

> jIpo'be' a' ghoj vIneH.

"I am not an expert tub I want him to learn." I'm joking a
little here. Listening to Voragh, I spelled "but" backwards,
since you spelled {'a} backwards. Note that {ghoj} needs the
right prefix, just like every other verb here.

> vay' vIghojlaH 'e' vItul.

"I hope that I can learn something." That is perfectly said and
certainly an accurate statement. You show much talent. Welcome
aboard.

> QaQpu' QaHmeyraj !

"Your (plural) help has been good."

> Qapla'

charghwI'

charghwI', taghwI' pabpo' ru'
Temporary Beginner's Grammarian, December 20-30

Back to archive top level