tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 26 07:34:56 1997

Re: KLBC: -vaD

On Wed, 24 Dec 1997 23:01:57 -0800 (PST) "Scott D. Randel"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >> buQlu'mo' Sormey jIjatlh vI'oSmeH
> >> "Because the trees are threatened, I speak for the purpose of
> >> representing them."
> >
> >You are SOOOO close. Basically, you have all the right words,
> >but not in the right order, and one of them could be repeated.
> >Want to try again?
>
> Hija'
>
> buQlu'mo' Sormey Sormey vI'oSmeH jIjatlh
> "Because the trees are threatened, for the purpose of representing the
> trees, I speak."  I wind up with {-meH} on 'oS again ("in order to
> represent"), and now I've got two {Sormey} together, which sounds
> silly!  I apparently fail to understand some elementary concept here!

Well, the reason the two Sormey are right next to each other is
because the first one is in the wrong place. Remember that
{-lu'} means indirect SUBJECT. That means that {Sormey} cannot
be the SUBJECT of {buQlu'mo'}. And if it is not the SUBJECT of
buQlu'mo', then why does it follow it?

Let's give it one more try, shall we. Very close this time,
though. You solved several problems. Just one more to go.

> Scott D. Randel
> tera'ngan thlIngan Hol ghojwI'

charghwI', taghwI' pabpo' ru'
Temporary Beginner's Grammarian, December 20-30

Back to archive top level