tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 22 19:30:09 1997

Re: KLBC: -vaD

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997 12:30:47 -0800 (PST) "Scott D. Randel"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 1997 charghwI' wrote:
>
> >For your meaning, you'd want to consider recasting it a bit.
> >When you speak for the trees, you do so for a purpose, right?
> >The purpose is to represent the trees. So, how would you say,
> >"For the purpose of representing the trees, I spoke."? You might
> >also think of it as, "In order that I represent the trees, I
> >spoke."
> Sormey vI'oSmo' jIjatlh
> "Because I represent the trees, I speak."

Well, this works fairly well, but you might consider {-meH}
instead of {-mo'}. Consider the example: "I speak for the trees
because they are endangered."

This will require considerable recasting, so it is a significant
challenge, but you should have the vocabulary and grammatical
skill to handle it. Just let go of the wording and get the
meaning across. If you use {-meH} where you just used
{-mo'}, it leaves you room to use {-mo'} more appropriately
to cover "because they are endangered". You don't have a
word for "be endangered", but then, what does it mean to be
endangered? You have words for that. {Consider {-lu'})

So, are you up for the challenge?

> Scott D. Randel
> tera'ngan thlIngan Hol ghojwI'

charghwI', ru' taghwI' pabpo'
Temporary Beginner's Grammarian, December 20-30

Back to archive top level