tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 20 14:41:16 1997

Re: KLBC: Short and Easy

Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >}wa'DIch yuQvetlhDaq nejwI' wIngeH muD QulmeH vaj wa'DIch mID wIchenmoH
> >}"First, we send a probe to that planet in order to research it then we
> >build }the first colony"
> >
> >Unless this is something else I'm missing from KGT, we can't use the ordinal
> >numbers as adverbials.  As far as I know, {wa'DIch} means first as in {nagh
> >wa'DIch} ("first rock") but not as in "first we must ..."
>
> Yeah, this is something that bothered me from the first time I heard taHjaj
> wo' (Krankor's Klingon anthem).  There's that line in the tlhegh wejDIch
> that goes "... 'ach Heghmaj yIpIHQo' ghaytan wa'DIch jagh'e' wIHeghmoHmo'"
> (I can't sing it as written, I always sing DIHeghmoHmo'--and Krankor has
> given me permission to do so--but that's not relevant here).  That's an
> adverbial use of "first" (as in "firstly" or "before that", which may be
> slightly different in meaning).  But what are you going to do?  It's in the
> song, and I like the song anyway.

There is the "odd" usage of {wa'DIch} on S15, where the Klingon text
reads:

wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey luleghlu'pu'bogh rur qItI'nga' Duj...

Did we ever figure out what that was all about?

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')       [email protected]
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD ghojwI'            http://www.frontiernet.net/~qob/

Back to archive top level