tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 20 09:44:03 1997

Re: jIHaD vIneH 'ach...

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Jason Coyle wrote:

|  On page 48 of TKD, {Hagh} is translated "study".  In the back of TKD,
|{Hagh} is "laugh" and {HaD} is "study".  {Hagh} isn't on the KLI "New
|word" page, either. I can see a Klingon typographer switching "gh" and
|"D", but it's a bit of a stretch for a terran to make this error.
|  Voragh, anyone, is this a known error, assumed error, or something I
|need to add to my files?

It's a known typo, though don't ask me how it occurred (perhaps it was in
the manuscript which was sent to the printer). {Hagh} is "laugh" and {HaD}
is "study". {HaD} has been used a couple times in canon. Off the top of my
head I remember
	tlhIngan Hol DaHaDrup'a'
	Are you ready to study Klingon?  (CK)
as well as the Skybox DSN 99 card, though I don't have access to my files at
the moment to give you a complete listing.

To verify a word you can check *both* the Klingon to English as well as the
English to Klingon sides of the glossaries. Don't forget about the
glossaries in the TKD addendum and now in KGT.

|				Never would have thought
|about {veqlarghpu'} being capable of language otherwise...)

Until we saw {veqlarghlI' yIbuS...} in TKW, many people assumed for some
reason that he was a mute guardian of the Underworld. They were probably
thinking of the Terran Charon or even Cerberus. I remember that the Fek'lhr
impersonator did speak and indentify himself in "Devil's Due", but I
thought that might have been the reason Worf knew he wasn't genuine (every
child knows that Fek'lhr can't speak!). Now it seems that Worf just didn't
believe in him at all. Fek'lhr must be numbered among the dead Klingon gods.

|  (BTW, I thought I learned a lot in adding the *word lists*.  This
|canon archiving helps as much, giving nuances.

Exactly why I spend so much time keeping track of all this material. It's
instructive - and sometimes surprising - to see all the ways a given word
has nad has not been used in the canon. If only we could see all the words
in the glossary used in context!

Voragh

Back to archive top level