tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 19 21:57:34 1997

Re: KLBC simple phrases from Klingon 2

-----Original Message-----
From: Joel Peter Anderson <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, December 19, 1997 9:34 AM
Subject: Re: KLBC simple phrases from Klingon 2

>Within the context of the exercise under discussion - where a minimal (it
>is to be hoped, non-copyright infringing) vocab and grammar was offered,
>all the reader would be prepared to compose would be simple statements ("I
>do this", "you do that").  Certainly teaching imperative, or conditional
>phrases is part of the whole language - that just wasn't included in the
>handout - it's a three fold brochure, for goodness sakes!

This is not in question.  The problem is that your statement, however simple
it is meant to be, has been translated WRONG.  Just pick a correctly
translated statement, one which does not contain an imperative concept.
Something like {yuch vISop pagh HIq vItlhutlh} "Either I eat chocolate or I
drink liquor."

>The sentence, "jIHDaq yuch Danob qoj qaSuv" was not even expected to be
>'translated' - it is intended to be matched to "Give me chocolate or I
>fight you"

What do you mean by matched to but not translated?

Shouldn't the translation also contain an "and/or"?  Does your pamphlet make
the meaning of this word clear?  If not, perhaps {pagh} would be a better
choice.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it should be {jIHvaD},
not {jIHDaq}.

>- (BTW - I've changed it to read "You give me chocolate or I
>fight you").

Any casual reader will still believe the first part to be an imperative
concept.  Since your target audience is the casual reader, this change will
not help them.

SuStel
Stardate 97967.7

Back to archive top level