tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 19 06:28:26 1997

Re: KLBC simple phrases from Klingon 2

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:13:39 -0800 (PST)
> >From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
> >
> >Joel Peter Anderson <[email protected]> writes:
> >>The prefixes I provided didn't include imperative (so "give me chocolate
> >>or I fight you" was a statement, not a command)...
> >
> >"Give me chocolate" *is* a command.  As I said before, if you don't
> >provide the tools to express imperative ideas, you shouldn't ask the
> >student to translate one.
>
> Well said.  How can "give me chocolate or I fight you" be a statement and
> not a command?  The English parses only as a command.  Do you mean the
> reading "if you do not give me..."?

vuDmeyvam vIQochbe', 'ach.....

I hold no inflated notion of my Klingon expertise (really!).  I invite and
encourage others to develop better exercises than mine.  I can only expect
that they will add to the enjoyment others find in this curious language.

Within the context of the exercise under discussion - where a minimal (it
is to be hoped, non-copyright infringing) vocab and grammar was offered,
all the reader would be prepared to compose would be simple statements ("I
do this", "you do that").  Certainly teaching imperative, or conditional
phrases is part of the whole language - that just wasn't included in the
handout - it's a three fold brochure, for goodness sakes!

The sentence, "jIHDaq yuch Danob qoj qaSuv" was not even expected to be
'translated' - it is intended to be matched to "Give me chocolate or I
fight you" - (BTW - I've changed it to read "You give me chocolate or I
fight you").

   joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]
 **mIghghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ; roj yInej 'ej Dochvam yItlha'**
    http://members.aol.com/JPKlingon * [email protected]
 **Depart from evil, and do good; Seek peace, and pursue it**

Back to archive top level