tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 18 23:25:35 1997

Re: SuH, Su', 'eH

ghunchu'wI' wrote:
|}The subject of {baH} is the person who launches the torpedo.  Edy's
|}gunner has said "The torpedoes are set to fire torpedoes, sir." :-)
|}A more appropriate English phrase might be "the torpedoes are ready
|}to be launched," but there's no easy way to translate that directly.

	baHbeH chetvI' (or) baHbeH DuS
	Torpedoes ready!

It's also the torpedo tubes--the launchers (there are two types on Klingon
ships)--that are ready to fire.

|}There's a verb that handles the "ready to fire torpedoes" idea all by
|}itself: {ghuSlu'} "one is prepared to launch torpedoes" or "torpedoes
|}are prepared to be launched."

The {baHwI'} could also announce:

	cha vIghuS (or) jIghuS
	Standing by (on torpedoes)!

Qov wrote:
|Thank you ghunchu'wI'. This is Qov's unfamiliarity with military equipment.
|The thing that hits the hull of the enemy ship is called a torpedo.  What is
|the thing that causes it to be launched? It comes out of a DuS/chetvI', but
|what is that a component of?  I need a big Klingon picture book with all the
|parts labelled for me. :)

Voragh

... who remembers his tour of duty on a US destroyer.

Back to archive top level