tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 18 21:44:25 1997

Re: KLBC mu'ghomHomwIj vIlo'be'

At 11:57 97-12-16 -0800, Doneq wrote:

}*April 1997* tlhIngan Hol vIHaD 'e' vItagh, vaj chorgh jarmey
}tlhIngan Hol vIHaDlI'.

Say {qaStaHvIS} when you are talking about a period of time that is a
duration. Just write the time when the period of time is simply a marker.
This can be a grey area when it's something like "At Christmas I went
skiing" but here you definitely want the {qaStaHvIS}.

}qaSpu'DI' 'op jarmey (*), *Internet*
}vIghajchoH, 'ej jabbI'IDghomvam vIlaDchoH. qaSpu'DI' 'op jarmey (*),

}(*): Is this the right use of {'op}? Should I leave out the {-mey}
}after {jar}?

{'op} was one of the ones that came up while I was off list.  SuStel?

}qaStaHvIS *vacation* (**), jabbI'IDghomvamvaD jabbI'IDmey vIqonchoH.

}(**): I didn't know a really good word for vacation. {QI'lop} is a
}specific holiday, and such holidays usually cover only one day
}(unfortunately :), sometimes two (at least, on Earth). {ghIQ} is a
}verb, which doesn't fit in the sentence, and doesn't quite mean the
}thing I want to say. I think it has something to do with *going* on a
}vacation (e.g. to the mountains, or to the sea, or whatever),
}however I stayed home that particular vacation... :)

It doesn't say that.  I would have said {jIghIQtaHvIS} but you could have
said {jIvumbe'taHvIS} or {juHwIjDaq jIleStaHvIS}.

}Holmey vIHaDlaHbej; DuSaQDaq loS Holmey vIghoj 'ej vIHaD. Holmey
}vIparHa', 'ej *Hov leng* vIparHa', vaj tlhIngan Hol vIghojchoH.

maj.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level