tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 18:08:10 1997

Re: Program??

DloraH wrote:

> mughwI' Dawuvchugh tlhIngan Hol DaghojQo' pagh nom Data'Qo'
> 'ej Qapchu' pagh mughwI' Hol DaghojHa' 'e' wIneHbe'
> yablIj QaQ law Hoch mughwI' QaQ puS yIqeq yIqeq yIqeq

Second time today someone has used {-Qo'} for future tense, so I
thought I would catch it again.

The "won't"  in "you won't learn Klingon if you do that" isn't the
same "won't"  as {-Qo'}.

To state the fact that someone or something, doesn't, didn't and
in the future will not do or be something, use {-be'}.
{qagh vISopbe'}
"I didn't eat gakh"  "I don't eat gakh"  "I won't eat gakh."
past                          present                  future

This statement refers only to the fact that the speaker spends some
peroid of time not consuming gakh.  It says nothing about his or her
attutude towards the food.  He didn't eat it because it wasn't
available, he was busy, it was too expensive, he won't have time, he
doesn't feel like it, he's been told it's infected, you have no idea
why.

To say that you that someone refuses,
refused, or will in the future refuse to do something, use {-Qo'}.

{qagh vISopQo'}
"I wouldn't eat gakh."  "I won't eat gakh."  "I won't eat gakh."
past                               present                     future

This statement is a refusal to eat gakh.  Maybe the person normally
eats it, but at some point she refused. It could be a blanket
refusal.

She could say {wa' ben qagh vISopQo'mo' qagh vISopbe'.  DaH qagh
vIparHa' 'ach qagh vIghajbe'mo', qagh vISopbe'.  SochleS
lalDanwIjmo' qagh vISopbe'choH.  qaStaHvIS *Lent* qagh vISopbe'taH.
vISopQo' neH.}

"A year ago I didn't eat gakh because I wouldn't eat qagh.  Now I
like gakh, but because I don't have any gakh I don't eat gakh. Next
week because of my religion I will cease to eat gakh.  During Lent I
won't eat gakh.  I'll just refuse it."

English doesn't always make the distinctions that Klingon does.
Klingon doesn't always make the distinctions that English does.

There are nine distinct ways to translate:
{jImIp jatlh Suy}

(I can actually come up with 36 different ways, not counting changing
the vocabulary in any way.  Oh, plus another 27 ways that are
unlikely, but not impossible.)

- Qov

Back to archive top level