tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 17 16:24:46 1997

Re: KLBC: Short and Easy

Phil jang Qov:
>}"The Brain"vo' qeSmey wIthlobchu'
>
>I don't think the thing requested is the object of {tlhob}, else it would be
>glossed as "ask for."  And the {-vo'} implies movement or direction away
>from the brain.

To get across the "ask for" idea, consider {poQ}.  And the English phrase
"advice from The Brain" is an example of how sometimes a preposition doesn't
have the same meaning in one case as it does in another.  This is really the
same as "advice of The Brain" or "The Brain's advice."

>I prefer {nuqeSmeH *The Brain* wItlhob}. "We ask The Brain for it to advise us."

("The Brain" is a mouse, but he's capable of language.  I'd say "him", not "it.")

Just as contrast, I like {*The Brain* qeS wIpoQ} "We demand The Brain's advice."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level