tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 15:05:30 1997

Re: Learning suggestions

At 02:19 PM 12/16/97 -0800, Qov wrote:
>lawsonse26 wrote:
>
>> vIghojchoHlI'.
>"I am beginning to learn it."
>

>Another technique is to take a Klingon proverb or a phrase from the
>appendix of TKD (e.g. "This helmet suits you") and analyse it.  Why
>is each syllable where it is?  Why are the words in that order? Is
>there anything unexpected about the sentence?  What else can you say
>with the same grammar?  How would you say "this helmet suits me" or
>"that tribble makes us angry"?
>
>Post some more examples of your work and keep trying to understand
>other people's postings.
>
>I posted a fairly long piece on "how to study Klingon" a few months
>ago.  Is there anyone on the list who tried some of the methods who
>can comment on what worked well for them?

I liked your suggestions, but I'd like to expand on one point.  I found
it _really_ hard to learn the verb prefixes.  The suffixes came pretty
easily, but I still can't claim to know all the prefixes.  What has worked best
for me is to try to put them in context.  This relates to your point about
studying the proverbs.  I find I can better remember a prefix if I
can remember a phrase using it, the more colorful and memorable the better.
I couldn't learn them by brute memorization.  This method has worked for
me, but I imagine it's not suitable to everyone's learning style.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level