tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 14:00:08 1997

Re: Learning suggestions

lawsonse26 wrote:

> vIghojchoHlI'.
"I am beginning to learn it."

maj.  If you wanted to say simply "I am beginning to learn" the no
object prefix {jI-} should be used instead of {vI-}.  Realize also
that the suffix {-lI'} indicates that you are really in the throes of
starting, and that eventually you will stop starting and change to
having already started.  This as you can see from my confused
mutterings is a distinction pretty hard to render in English.
{vIghojchoH} could also be translated as "I am starting to learn it"
without the implication of a defined starting process.  Nothing wrong
with your sentence, I just want to be sure you know all its
implications.

>  jIHvaD boghaj chupmey?

Read the begiining of chapter six where it talks about
Object-Verb-Subject (OVS) sentence order.  OVS is the
same no matter if the sentence is a question or not.  (It sometimes
changes for toasts, but that's a strange irregularity.) To say
"do you have X" in Klingon you say {X boghaj'a'}.  The Klingon word
{chup} means "recommend," not, as far as I remember,
"recommendation," so the English sentence "do you have suggestions
for me?" has to be said slightly differntly in Klingon.  Instead of
using the verb {ghaj} "have,"  I suggest:

jIHvaD vay' bochupqang'a'?
"Will you suggest something for me?"

or the Klingon direct:

jIHvaD vay' yIchup!
"suggest something for me!"

> And was that sentance right in the first place?

It had a couple of learning opportunities in it, but it was a good
sentence.

You seem to be doing pretty well on your own; you've
obviously realized the importance grammar section.  Pick one section
of the grammar, read it over several times, try to think of all the
implications and any questions it raises, then write some sentences
that use what it tells you and post them here.  Choose five or ten
words per day that seem useful to you and memorize them.  Also
memorize the prefixes and suffixes so that you can recognize them
quickly when reading or listening.  Flashcards help, as does ter'eS'
KLIFLASH DOS program. (When do we get the KGT upgrade, ter'eS?)

Another technique is to take a Klingon proverb or a phrase from the
appendix of TKD (e.g. "This helmet suits you") and analyse it.  Why
is each syllable where it is?  Why are the words in that order? Is
there anything unexpected about the sentence?  What else can you say
with the same grammar?  How would you say "this helmet suits me" or
"that tribble makes us angry"?

Post some more examples of your work and keep trying to understand
other people's postings.

I posted a fairly long piece on "how to study Klingon" a few months
ago.  Is there anyone on the list who tried some of the methods who
can comment on what worked well for them?

Back to archive top level