tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 11:29:05 1997

Re: KLBC Challenge: similar suffixes

ghItlh Qov

> }vummoHwI'wI' ghaH.
> }He's my employer.
>
> val.  wa' mu'Daq cha' mojaq Dalo'ta'. :)
Dachaw'be' bIjatlhbe' :)

(Still not certain... is this the right use for {jatlh}?)

> }pumpu' naghpu'.
> }Rocks have fallen.
>
> jatlhlaH'a' naghmeyvetlh?

nuqjatlh? vIyajbe'.

> }juplI' vIHoHlI'.
> }I am busy killing your friend.
>
> maj. Here "am busy" works quite well to translate the {-lI'} idea. I often
> ue "in the process of."

me too, but that doesn't sound that nice, I think.

> }muHaqmo' HaqwI' 'oy'mo' jIvIHlaHbe'.
> }I can't move because of the pain and because the surgeon is
> }performing surgery on me.
>
> Getting both {-mo'}mey in a sentence is trickier than I realized.  You
> didn't use a conjunction in the Klingon to join the noun and the verb
> because there isn't one. The Klingon sentence is fine, but the translation
> misrepresents it.  Better would be "I can't move from the pain because the
> surgeon performs surgery on me."

It was tricky indeed.

> I'd read {muHaqmo' HaqwI'} as "because the surgeon performs/performed
> surgery on me" and use {muHaqlI'mo'} for "is performing" or "was
> performing."  You're talking about this proces going on at the time at which
> the event, you're not being able to move, occurs.

Yes, but the {-lI'} had to go in the other sentence :)

> }And now for the grand finale:
> }
> }vummoHwI''a'lI' vIDalI'mo' jupwI'pu'mo' je bIHoH'eghpu' 'e' DanID'a'?
> }
> }Have you tried to kill yourself because of my friends and because I
> }was busy to behave as you great employer?
>
> Here you have tried to link a noun + {-mo'} and a verb clause in {-mo'} with
> a noun conjunction and it doesn't quite work. Gallant try, though. :)
>
> }(I know, {bIHoH'eghpu'} should be better with a {-ta'} suffix, and
> }{vIDalI'mo'} with a {-taH} suffix, but hey, I had to put those {-pu'}
> }and {-lI'} suffixes *somewhere*... :)
>
> Good comments. The {-pu'} is ok, but the {-lI'} i really hard to support
> there. I don't think the "busy" translation works as well here.

Maybe I was doing it on purpose, because I don't like you :)

> Qov     [email protected]
> Beginners' Grammarian

/Doneq
______