tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 16:22:10 1997

Re: KLBC: tlhIngan-Hol vIparHa'qu'!

ghItlh "James" Qov je:

>}Thirdly, I was wondering how long all the grammarians and
>}"frequent-thlInagn-Hol-message-submitters" have been learning to speak
>}it:
>
>Ten years on and off for me, come this February 1st, but much more off than
>on. Perhaps two years of active study in total. I've had contact with other
>speakers only since April 1996 and most of what I have learned has been
>since then. I'll let others snip this paragraph and follow up with their
>own histories.

I am hardly an elder here - I joined this list in May, I think, of this
year. I started to study Klingon as soon as I knew it existed - 1991 or
1992. (Dates are not my strong suit...) I joined the KLI in 1993 and
remained a member for a few years, but then in 1995 (or 6) allowed my
studies and my membership to lapse due to personal problems. Eventually, I
got a computer and got online - and the rest is, as they say, history.
Through the examples of BG's SuStel and Qov, and the help of many who are
too numerous to list, I have become able to think in Klingon far easier than
I can think in Spanish, which I studied for at least as long. (For example,
seriously - I instinctively shifted for the "i" in "which" just now...)

Dun tlhIngan Hol. batlh yIjatlh!  bIvumtaHchugh bIQap. 'ej bInIDbe'chugh,
vaj bIHegh! (I wrote this without looking up a word! I am proud...)

Qermaq

Back to archive top level