tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 09 16:01:00 1997

Re: KLBC mu'ghomHomwIj

At 12:07 97-12-09 -0800, Doneq wrote:
}wa'Hu', mu'ghomHomwIj vIghItlhta'. mu'tay' Hoch ngaS 'e' vIHar.

{mu'tay' naQ} - the entire vocabulary
{Hoch mu'tay'} - every vocabulary
{Hoch mu'tay'mey} - all the vocabularies

I think you want {naQ}.

}('e'
}vItul... :) DaH, not De'wI' mu'ghomwIj vIlo'taH 'e' vInID:

{not ... vIlo'taH} you put the {-taH} on {lo'} because you knew you weren't
allowed to put it on {nID}, right?  That took me a moment, but I think I
like it.  It's what we're supposed to do, but people don't, much.

}mu'ghomHomwIj vIghItlhbogh vIlo' neH 'e' vInIDchoH.

{mu'ghomHomwIj neH} - only my dictionary
{vIlo' neH} - I will merely use it.

Have another look at the end of section 5.4 to see the distinction.

}chu'mo' bochqu' mu'ghomHomwIj.
}
}'ach loQ qay': tlhIngan Holvo' DIvI' HolvaD ngaS neH; DIvI' Holvo'
}tlhIngan HolvaD ngaSbe'. loQ QInmey qontaHvIS qay' :)
}
}(I printed my computer dictionary, and I'll try to use only the
}printed version, not the one in my computer. There's one little
}problem: when I'm writing a message, it's difficult to look up
}Klingon words from English.

qay'be'bej!  ghu'lIj vIchupqu'.  tlhIngan Hol mu' DaneHDI' yIloy.
bImujchugh, mujI' yIghoj.  bIlughchugh, lughwI' DaSov.  DaH QIt bIvum.  tugh
mu'ghom Dalo'nISbe'choHmo' nom bIvum.

My recomendation for learning vocabulary is to make it HARD to look words up.
Spend a certain amount of time actively and deliberately studying
vocabulary, e.g. pick ten useful looking words and memorize them.  At other
times keep your dictionary somewhere awkward, across the room, in the
fridge, under the cat ...
Forcing yourself to drag the word from your brain is hard, and we are lazy,
so make it HARDER to look up the word than to do the work of remembering it.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if you have seen a thing once you
really do have it in your memory.  If you HAVEN'T yet read through the
entire vocabulary list, do so soon.

This is how I learned my Klingon vocabulary. step 1) I was preparing to meet
someone who "knew Klingon" in about two months time.  I figured this person
would know the whole language perfectly, and I wanted to be able to impress
him. I already knew the grammar pretty well, but had not memorized more than
a few words of vocabulary.  I calculated that at 30 words per day I could
learn the whole list.  (No, I didn't succeed in memorizing all the words in
two months, but I had at least been exposed to them all. It's like
weightlifting, you can increase by a few pounds a week but you can't skip a
few weeks and then expect to catch up!) step 2) I subscribed to tlhIngan-Hol
at work -- because I didn't have e-mail at home, but I didn't take my
Klingon dictionary into work. I started reading the messages even though I
didn't understand, and then in the evening at home looking up the words I
remembered seeing, and going back to try to read the messages again. step 3)
I realized that my dictionary was deteriorating, so I stoppped using it
unless I ABSOLUTELY couldn't guess what a word meant, and it was essential
to understanding.

}I *knew* there was a word for "be shiny", but I couldn't find it...
}so I had to look it up in my computer dictionary...
}jIquv'eghmoHHa'... shame on me... :)

The suffix {-Ha'} always goes directly after the verb stem, it's not a true
rover like {-be'}.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level