tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 08 18:03:53 1997

Re: lu- (KLBC)

-----Original Message-----
From: William H. Martin <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, December 08, 1997 1:35 AM
Subject: Re: lu- (KLBC)

>On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:50:22 -0800 (PST) "Andeen, Eric"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> ghItlh ~mark:
>> > I seem to recall canon for this, a use of "tu'lu'be'."  There it is.
>> TKW p.29: "SuvwI'pu' qan tu'lu'be'".
>>
>> We also have "quvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj" from CK (or maybe PK), so
>> Okrand has gone both ways with -be' on tu'lu'. Huj.

>Perhaps there is a message here we have missed. May one not
>discover tribbles in your coordinates (that should be
>{QuvlIjDaq}) implies that the tribbles should not be there. No
>one finds old warriors perhaps suggests that they may exist, but
>only if they are crafty enough to not be discovered.

I don't think so.  TKW p. 29 is talking about the honorable retirement of
weakening Klingon warriors.  According to TKW, the phrase {SuvwI'pu' qan
tu'lu'be'} is to be taken literally.

Anytime I see {-lu'be'}, I do not see it as negating the {-lu'}.  What is
the negative of the indefinite subject suffix?  I'm only aware of {-lu'be'}
on the above proverb, and here it's on the construction {tu'lu'}, which has
always been looked at with uncertainty.  If one can accept that {tu'lu'}
acts as a special construction, then {tu'lu'be'} is simply the negation of
{tu'lu'}.

QuvwIjDaq yIH tu'lu'
There is a tribble at my coordinates.

QuvwIjDaq yIH tu'lu'be'
There is not a tribble at my coordinates.

On the other hand, we've also seen {tu'be'lu'}.  In this case, you can look
at this as the verb {tu'} with suffixes used normally, not a special
construction.

QuvwIjDaq yIH tu'lu'
Someone finds a tribble at my coordinates.

QuvwIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'
Someone does not find a tribble at my coordinates.

Note that this last sentence, almost the one in the proverb, is vague as to
whether tribbles are there and you just can't find them, or if there are no
tribbles to be found.

For any general verb, I recommend putting {-be'} on the verb, and using
{-lu'} without one.  For {tu'lu'}, you can do it either way.  If there IS a
difference in meaning, it is so slight as to be negligible.

SuStel
Stardate 97937.6

Back to archive top level