tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 07 22:03:13 1997

Harangue (was: Re: maHagh tlhInganpu')

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 19:29:16 -0800 (PST) "Mark E. Shoulson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> This harangue is not aimed at Voragh; in fact, he has little to do with it.

Instead, it seems more directly aimed at me, perhaps correctly.
Unfortunate that it arrived during my rather challenging call to
duty which has rather disrupted my participation here. Ahh well.
Why not?

> I'm sure we all have a sense
> for whose Klingon we like and whose we disagree with.  And I certainly
> believe that it is important to take careful account of the instincts of
> skilled and experienced Klingonists in considering expressions in the
> language.  It was disheartening, though, to see such respect used as a
> weapon a few times on the list recently.  "I've been right before, so I
> must be right again, don't argue with me."  I recall that Glen Proechel
> could make similar claims, since after all, he WAS right about Hoch
> placement, and about -ghach, and a few other points aside.  I'm not trying
> to say things one way or another about Glen, but if Glen had been arguing
> with charghwI', and had made the claims charghwI' made about being right in
> the past (he does have such a record), would charghwI' have considered that
> a telling argument?  I tend to think not, partly based on guesses about
> charghwI''s feelings regarding Glen.  And if this devolves into comparing
> scorecards (who was right more often?  About topics how complex?), I'll be
> *quite* disgusted.

My feelings about Glen are based upon his dishonest business
dealings with David Barron, his interest in using Klingon to
make personal profit and convert others to his theology, and his
numerous rather extreme errors including practices like making
up his own words for uncle, aunt, cousin, etc., using any verb
as a noun whenever he wanted to and other stuff he did, all while
declaring himself the singular meaningful authority on the
language. I would ordinarily not bring this up, but the many new
members here might otherwise simply think I'm a petty, jealous
competitor with Glen.

I've been unpleasant recently. I care about the language. There
have been other rather extreme and unusual pressures on my life.
I've allowed that stress to bleed into my sensitivity to what
feels like pollution of the language. This actually does tie
into my feelings about Glen in that he and I have goals that
directly compete with each other. His goal is to come up with
methods to quickly bulk-translate large quantities of English
text into Klingon without a lot of thought about individual
sentences and phrases. My goal is to express things in Klingon
in such a way that one reading the Klingon will understand it
clearly and perhaps even enjoy those special opportunities for
remarkable clarity and grace within the language.

The recent debate has hit that particular nerve. I really don't
like it when I see one trying to bend Klingon grammar in order
to get English phrases to more easily, in a bulk-formula
compliant way, fit. The concern is less about how the Klingon
will be understood than it is how to get the English into the
Klingon. Thinking through each example and recasting it with
what might be quite different grammar than another example which
looks similar in English is considered distasteful.

But I digress...

I have damaged a relationship here for the sake of a grammatical
construction. This is foolish of me. I am not proud of it.

> Doesn't it seem reasonable that we stand a better chance of understanding
> things if we agree to THINK instead of shouting down opposition?

Here, I believe I've been wrongly accused. I do think, thank you
very much, even while shouting.

> Make no mistake.  Most of the arguments made, both lately and throughout
> the list's history, have been well-reasoned.  I've seen many exasperating
> and (to me) silly suggestions, and I'm not suggesting they all need to be
> re-examined.  Most were adequately dealt with through proper logic and
> debate techniques.  It's the recent outbreak of bullying and proof by
> volume that I want to watch out for.
>
> (You thought maybe only charghwI' could get emotional about this stuff?)

I've noticed a pattern in my own behavior here. Usually, when I
go off on a tirade about grammar, there are these peripheral,
coincidental events in my life. A friend gets murdered and I
become unpleasant. A romantic partner discovers breast cancer
about the same time that she reveals her continued feelings for
a previous partner I didn't even know about, and, well, I become
less rational than usual while arguing about indirect questions.
Funny thing about this. I was not very nice a couple years back
when my neighbor died of brain cancer.

Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who
feel. I think and feel, and to be honest, I'd rather be dancing.

> ~mark

charghwI'

Back to archive top level