tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 05 12:22:17 1997

Re: N,S,E,W

> Let me suggest here a set of terms for the cardinal directions, based on the
> sun's apparent daily path through the
> sky:
>
> 	west	pemHov 'et
> 	east	pemHov 'o'
> 	north	pemHov nIH
> 	south	pemHov poS
>
> These are independent of the hemisphere you happen to be in (unlike terms tha
> t relate "cold" to north and "warm" to
> south, which work only in the northern hemisphere). I owe the idea for "north
> " and "south" to H. Beam Piper's
> Fuzzies.

someone already pointed out that it is quite arbitrary, where you
choose to be "fore", and it also has been suggested to use something
like

Salbogh pemHov lurgh       for east and
ghIrbogh pemHov lurgh      for west

(unless you have this weird situation where the sun rises in the west)
(of course someone will read these as "up" and "down" resp. :)

maybe one can use

pemHov He poS (lurgh)      for south and
pemHov He nIH (lurgh)      for north

at least to me they are independent of the latitude and they are shorter
than, e.g.

Sal pemHov 'e' bejbogh nuv poS (lurgh)    for north
Sal pemHov 'e' bejbogh nuv nIH (lurgh)    for south

(I just included them to show that "left" and "right" alone are quite
ambiguous too)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]