tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 03 19:30:19 1997

Re: V-bogh N V(adj) (was Re: bIQ'a' Doq bIngDaq)

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, December 02, 1997 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: V-bogh N V(adj) (was Re: bIQ'a' Doq bIngDaq)

>(4)  <adj1>-bogh <adj2>-bogh je <noun>
>
> yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
> the warrior brave and true (Anthem)
>
>As many have remarked, this last one is highly unusual and is, in fact,
>stylistically marked in *both* languages.  An archaic usage preserved in
>poetry perhaps?

I'm fairly sure this is simply a metrical device.  Consider the bracketed
syllables as stressed:

<yoH>-bogh <matlh>-bogh <je> Suv-<wI'>

You could not do it with other, legal formations:

<yoH>-bogh 'ej <matlh>-bogh Suv-<wI'>

<yoH>-bogh Suv-<wI'> 'ej <matlh>-bogh

<yoH>-bogh Suv-<wI'> <matlh>

It need not be an archaic usage, though that's not impossible.  One might
parse it thusly, to get the Klingon feel: "Warriors which are brave, which
are loyal too."  I would agree with "stylistically marked," though probably
a form used simply as an expedient in this particular song, and not a
generally recreatable thing.  If I'm writing a song and I need the syllables
to do this sort of thing, I'll consider it.  Otherwise, it's not right.

SuStel
Stardate 97922.5

Back to archive top level