tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 03 09:24:49 1997

Re: [proposal] translation for directions.

>Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:39:40 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Neal Schermerhorn" <[email protected]>
>
>ghItlh Qov:
>
>>pem bIr Hov lurgh
>
>I don't get this one, Qov. "Daytime's cold star direction"? What about
><DungluQ QIb lurgh>?

Both of which might work if you're in the US or Canada, but your directions
will be woefully off if you're in South Africa or New Zealand...

>>peQ chem lurgh
>
>vIparHa'!
>
>Go north. <peQ chem lurgh yIghoS>

Erm... cha' lurgh "ghoS" peQ chem.  wa''e' yIngu'.

And don't forget that not only is the direction "positive" magnetic field
an arbitrary convention, but so for that matter is the whole notion of
magnetic lines of force.  The field certainly has preferred directions, but
only in that it treats some differently from others.  Which ones you
consider "along" the lines and which you consider "across" them depends on
the math you choose to use (assuming you have "lines of force" anyway.)

Come to think of it, ever notice that the magnetic pole near the North Pole
of the Earth is actually a magnetic *south* pole?  Otherwise why would it
attract the north pole of your compass?  (That's why I've heard north
magnetic poles more precisely termed "north-seeking poles")

~mark

Back to archive top level