tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 01 02:59:11 1997

Re: KLBC: insulting

On 30 Nov 97 at 12:55, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >In nearly all of these cases you "cut up" currently existing words
> >at other boundaries than between syllables, which is "stupid"
> >indeed. That's not really how words form (I think).
>
> But how do you know that Klingon epithets divide where you say they
> do? That might be just as stupid.  "Restaurant" *was* being divided
> at syllables, and as it happens, "disheveled" really DOES divide
> into dis- plus "*heveled", where the latter is a form of "habille"
> from the French, signifying clothing.  But that doesn't mean
> "*heveled" is a word.

Good point indeed. But I still think it's fun how most Klingon
epithets seem to have some sort of (root of a) meaning when they are
broken up in (what to this amateur student of tlhIngan Hol seems
like) logical sections.

Of course I could be more than wrong, but until somebody has
information proving I am, I don't see anything wrong with the type of
assumptions made.

Often a great way to learn about things is to try and take them
apart to examine them closely. And even if you learn nothing of this
(or even "learn" things that aren't even true) it can still simply
be fun. And what's wrong with having fun..?

(But of course it's important to keep clearly in mind that without
more information, this "analysis" of Klingon epithets is hardly more
than just fun!)

Qapla'
peSHIr

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level