tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 28 23:39:36 1997

Re: Word Wanted

At 07:40 PM 8/28/97 -0700, Scott Inman wrote:
>Is there a word in thlIgan-hol that would equal "frustration?"

Often we translate an English noun with a tlhIngan Hol verb, rewriting the
sentence to match. The verb {mogh} means "be frustrated."

I am experiencing frustration --> jImogh  = I am frustrated.
due to frustration ...        --> moghmo' = because he was frustrated
our frusrtation was evident   --> mamoghba' = we were obviously frustrated
their frustration is mounting --> moghqu'choHlI' chaH = they are on their
way to                                        being really frustrated

Klingon and English are different enough that translating a single word out
of context is a dubious exercise.

(A noun could also be created with {-ghach} but I can't think of an example
that wouldn't be better translated as a verb.)

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginning Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level