tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 28 09:41:35 1997

Quality-qoq: was "Soldiers of the Empire" and KGT

qaSDI' 07:53 AM 8/28/97 -0700, ghItlh HetaQ:

>BTW, we are not being sued any longer.  We have signed a settlement
>agreement, wrote a check to them for "damages", and agreed to destroy
>remaining inventory of the books by the end of September.  Absolutely no
>interest on their part to give us licensing, the main reason being "quality
>control".

Outrageous!  Though not totaly unexpected, I supose.

>Cultural observer, yes, exactly.  And we are the culture he is observing.
> Many references and additions are due not to Paramount but to the real
>users of the language, us.  Yet we are restricted in our use of the
>language that is due, more and more, to *our* culture.  How many instances
>in KGT are really creations due to us lowly fan-boys?

<'I'>, <nughI'>, & <vegh> come to mind.

And now Viacom
>claims ownership of even these!  Furthermore has Paramount received
>licensing from A&W and others for derived use of *their* trademarks for
>Paramounts profit?  I bet not.

Good point.  Perhapse someone should mention that t A&W, and the V8 people.
 I'd love to see Paramount on the defensive for a change!

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level