tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 27 12:49:10 1997

nuqneH

>>nuqneH.
> There is divided opinion on whether it is appropriate for you, who wants
> something (our attention) to come onto the list and say something that
means
> roughly "whatdyawant" to us.
In my opinion, it shouldn't be used in this case, when asking something. In
english also, you don't enter a store and say "what do you want"... Klingons
are much more direct, they don't use all those Human platitudes. There is a
Klingon adage {yIQeqQo' neH. DoS yIqIp.} "Don't just aim, hit the target!"

> Some say it still means that.
I think it is formed from clipped Klingon.
"What do you want?" is {nuq DaneH?}
Clipped Klingon leaves out prefixes, so I get {nuq neH}, which became one
word during time.
(As in english "o'clock", on-the-clock, etc...)

> Some say it's just a greeting with no literal meaning.
I don't think it is a greeeting like Terrans use greetings.
I only use it when somebody approaches ME and talks to ME.
Then I say "What do YOU want from ME?!"  -  nuqneH

Any opinions?

muHwI'
Stardate 97656.6

Back to archive top level