tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 27 10:12:30 1997

Re: defective verbs

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:

> For example, {reQong} "we sleep you all" is grammatical, but doesn't make
sense.

Well, not necessarily.  It's entirely possible that some Klingon verbs simply
cannot take objects (unless they've also got {-moH} attached to them).  {Qong}
would be one in my book.  This would not be a semantic difference, I think, it
would be incorrect grammar.

Somewhere in KGT, I don't remember where, there was a verb of quality used
with an object, and Okrand translated it with an ungrammatical English phrase,
and then explained that the Klingon was just as ungrammatical.  Anyone happen
to remember exactly where this is?

--
SuStel
Stardate 97654.0