tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 25 20:05:38 1997

Re: A nIb gem

ja' peHruS:
>loD jen law' be' jen puS (TKD grammar rules)

pupbe'law' <jen>.  chaq nIv <be' run law' loD run puS>.

>KGT 178-179 says antonyms are used in slang as replacements for law'/puS in
>comparisons and superlatives
>
>loD jen law' be' jen nIb (my own invention)

nuqjatlh?

>This means to me "The man is the same height (amount of jen = tall) as the
>woman."
>Obviously, {nIb} is not the antonym of {law'}.

quSDaq bIba'.  rapHa'be'ba' <law'> <nIb> je.
vaj <law'/puS> lIw mojlaHbe'qu'bej <law'/nIb>.

>Furthermore, KGT 127-133 supplies plenty of examples of similes.  The general
>pattern is jen loD; rur Sor.

loQ bIQagh.  lugh <jen loD; Sor rur>.
vaj yIjatlh <jen loD; be' rur>.

>Still, I couldn't erase from my mind the gem made possible by putting {nIb}
>in the second position of law'/puS constructions.

yablIjvo' qechvam DalojmoH 'e' yInIDqa'.
Qapbe' <law'/nIb>.

>Comments, please.

qatlh pabqoq Da'oghqa'taH?

SKI:  Yes, KGT says antonyms fit in the {law'/pus} slots.  Yes, {law'} and
{nIb} are not antonyms -- so they don't fit.  Yes, the general pattern for
simile is {jen loD; Sor rur} -- so that is what you should use instead of
making up something without justification.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level