tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 25 01:53:55 1997

A nIb gem

loD jen law' be' jen puS (TKD grammar rules)

tlhIngan yoH HoS verengan yoH puj (KGT 179)
....................pIv/rop
....................Daj/qetlh
....................jen/'eS
....................ghegh/Hab

These are suggestions for replacements for law'/puS comparisons.

KGT 178-179 says antonyms are used in slang as replacements for law'/puS in
comparisons and superlatives

loD jen law' be' jen nIb (my own invention)

This means to me "The man is the same height (amount of jen = tall) as the
woman."
Obviously, {nIb} is not the antonym of {law'}.

Furthermore, KGT 127-133 supplies plenty of examples of similes.  The general
pattern is jen loD; rur Sor.

Still, I couldn't erase from my mind the gem made possible by putting {nIb}
in the second position of law'/puS constructions.

Comments, please.

peHruS

Back to archive top level