tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 23 20:10:05 1997

Re: That's 'aD

ja' peHruS:
>KGT consistently uses {'aD} for "measuring distance".  In HolQeD about the
>skybox card we had {'ab}.  Since {'aD} already is a noun for "vein", I was
>hoping to see {'ab} for "measure distance".

Yes, this discrepancy strikes me as odd too.  It could be an accidental
misspelling in either the Skybox text or in both sides of the KGT word
list.  There's no way to be sure which is correct, but KGT is the more
widely distributed resource and that's the spelling I'm going to use.

>We already have {DuH} for "possibility".  Now we get {nuH} without a capital
>"N" and not marked as (slang).  Is this right?

There's a subtle difference between "slang" and "idiom".  {nuH} is given
as "possibility" in a metaphoric, not literal, sense.  I don't know why
it's called out in the word list that way.  I'm not likely to use it as
such outside the idiom {Hoch nuH qel}.

>And, I've had to readjust my usage of {tlhob} for "ask".  We now have {ghel}
>for "ask a question".

Yeah, the changing nature of the Klingon "ask" has me mildly amused.  In
the original edition of TKD, we have {tlhob} "ask".  The addendum gave it
the expanded meaning of "request, ask, plead".  Now KGT gives us {ghel}
"ask (a question)".  Which one do we use as a verb of saying, and why?
Is there a proper way to use either or both in a non-saying way?  I'm
reasonably sure we'll work it out soon. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level