tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 23 10:55:16 1997

RE: Day of Honor Postcard

[email protected] on behalf of Kenneth Traft wrote:

> I knew there was another section in KGT that also reference <vaj> and
> <SuvwI'>
>  (an awlful lot of stuff to try and injest in a day).
>
> pp 113 and 114
>
> on page 114 (It is noteworthy that in this idiom the word for "warrior" is
> not
> the frequently heard SuvwI', which would denote an individual warrior, but
> rather vaj, which refers to the whole idea of being a warrior.  ...  SuvwI'
> Duj would mean the insticts of a specific warrior.  In this case, your
> warriors honor could refer to the single warrior YOU.

The phrase seems to be translating the concept of "warrior's honor."  This is
{vaj quv}, not {SuvwI' quv}.  {SuvwI' quv} would be used in cases like

SuvwI'vetlh quv vIyaj.
I understand that warrior's honor.

If {SuvwI'} in {SuvwI' quvlIj} were referring to you, then the phrase would be
more like, "warrior, your honor."

Even if the warrior is a specific person, it's the warrior's *honor* we're
talking about.  Not your honor as a warrior, your "warrior's honor."  This is
{vaj quv}, not {SuvwI' quv}.

I just think the translation is loose, or sloppy.

SuvwI'
Warrior!

quvlIj yIqel!
Consider your honor!