tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 23 09:49:31 1997

Playing around

qoror wrote:

|2)  {reH} appears to mean the same thing as {Quj.}  On page 193:
|
|	reH puqpu'.  ("The children play.")

Based on what others have recently posted (I still haven't seen KGT), as
I understand it there seems to be a subtle distinction. {Quj} is "play a
game" (i.e. a specific game, the noun for which is also {Quj}). In the
Radio Times book, Okrand provided the facetious:

	DaH ghew yIQuj      	   "Cricket, please."

Thus permitting:

	qa'vaQ wIQujtaH.      	   We're playing qa'vak.
	qeylIS mInDu' wIQujtaH.      "     "     Eyes of Kahless.
	*poQ'ar* wIQujtaH.           "     "     poker.
	*klin zha* wIQujtaH.         "     "     klin zha.
	     (etc.)

{reH} seems to refer to playing around in general, horseplay, playing
with a pet, etc. So, one might hear Klingon parents saying:

	va, chuSqu'!    	   What is that ruckus?
	HurDaq reHtaH puqpu'.	   The children are playing outside.

I wonder if {reH} may also be used for not acting seriously (cf. also
{Dogh}) or even play-acting on a stage. Does KGT discuss drama at all?

And now, there's also {chu'} "play a musical instrument".

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level