tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 20 20:25:24 1997

Re: KLBC?: Gilbert and Sullivan

>Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:02:30 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>[email protected] on behalf of Marian Schwartz wrote:
>
>> 	Come, friends, who plow the sea!
>> 	Truce to navigation!
>> 	Take another station!
>> 	Let's vary piracy
>> 	With a little burglary!
>>
>> 	loghDaq lengwI'pu' neH!
>
>"Only space travelers!"
>
>Then again, this is hardly a song worthy of honorable Klingons.

Well, they're not honorable humans, either.  Piracy their dreadful trade
is, nice companions for young ladies.  OK, they're honorable pirates, but
that's a rarity.

>Since this is not a complete sentence in Klingon, it makes it very difficult
>to translate literally.  {Ha'} is an exclamation, not a sentence, and I
>therefore cannot talk about traveling "on" the sea without presuming to use a
>{-Daq} on a {-bogh} clause, something which is questionable at best.

It works for me; it's a vocative, a bare noun phrase.

>> 	latlh yaH wItaghjaj!
>> 	maHeS 'e' wISermoHmeH
>
>You meant {wISarmoHmeH}.
>
>> 	loQ manIHchoH DaH wIneH!
>
>We've only seen adverbials used one on a {neH} Sentence As Object that I know
>of: when Klaa says {reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH}.  There are two theories that I
>know of to explain this.
>
>You might need to put the adverbial before the entire sentence:
>
>DaH loQ manIHchoH wIneH!

I tend to think the rules aren't that rigid, and it could go either way.
qoror's works for me.

>> 	I'd like a better word than {chIj} in the second line -- maybe there's a
>> new better word.  I don't want to use {leng} because that would seem too
>> repetitious.  {HeS} is a bit unsatisfactory too.

How about {weH} for {HeS}?

~mark

Back to archive top level