tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 18 20:54:49 1997

Re: Why Klingon ?

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 05:50:07 -0700 (PDT)  [email protected] wrote:

> Why am I studying Klingon?
> qatlh tlhIngan Hol vIHaDtaH jIH ?...
> Could you give me some arguments WHY we all
> are learning the Klingon Language!
>
> ______________
> muHwI'
> Stardate 97625.7

For one thing, I find it more personally satisfying than
memorizing the statistics of all the NBA players, which some
seemingly more normal people find enjoyable.

I enjoy the way that learning this langauge intentionally
tweaked to be alien to English points out to me aspects of
English to which I would otherwise not have become sensitive.

I enjoy the people I have met through the sharing of this
language. Many are uncommonly intelligent, interesting, witty
and kind. This kindness exhibits itself in unconditional support
among us. For a week in Philadelphia, we each seek to help all
of us have an uncommonly good time and to feel good about our
accomplishments, our talents and our efforts for those of all
levels of expertise.

I enjoy discovering Marc Okrand's delightful sense of humor
burried in the langauge. My newest discovery in the new book,
Klingon for the Galactic Traveler, was in the section on musical
instruments. Among the stringed instruments, the smallest is the
Sopghew, which probably looks a lot like a "potato bug"
mandolin. The medium one is the leSpal, which probably looks a
lot like a Les Paul electric guitar. (That one REALLY made me
groan.)

And for all this, the only real cost to me is that I don't have
time to surf channels on the TV. That's not much of a loss.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level