tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 16 09:15:27 1997

Re: Why Klingon ?

ghItlh muHwI':
>Why am I studying Klingon?
>qatlh tlhIngan Hol vIHaDtaH jIH ?
>Two years ago, my grandpa bought me a StarTrek
>Gift Set with some CDs in it.
>One of them was CK.
>I listened to it hundreds of times.
>wa'vatlhlogh vI'Ijpu'.
>One year later, somebody gave me TKD.
>I thought Klingon was not too difficult and started learning.
>Two months after that, I bought TKW.
>When I got Internet access in July,
>I immediately subscribed to the List.
>My father always asked me:
>reH muyu' vavwI':
>Why are you learning that fake language?
>qatlh Holqoq DaHaD?
>A language of a race that doesn't even exist?
>SaHbe'bogh Segh Hol.
>One that nobody speaks?
>Hol jatlhlu'be'.
>Why don't you study more for school?
>qatlh DuSaQvaD bIHaDbe'?
>Is that any use to you?
>SoHvaD lo'laH'a' Holvam?
>I do like klingon, I've learned many things from this
>list and not only about Klingon.

>Could you give me some arguments WHY we all
>are learning the Klingon Language!

Well, the Bylaws of the KLI (Article 2, Section 1) put it this way:
"...to promote the study and use of the Klingon language as a means of futher
developing the sciences of linguistics, philology, computer science,
psychology, and other fields of academic study..."

Now, why I'm here: I love linguistics. I love Star Trek. Put'em together-
Klingon. And though study of it may seem useless, my language skills have
developed GREATLY from it. In English, we use Aspect everyday, but it took
Klingon to make me understand the concept behind it. Because of it, I was one
of the first in my French class to grasp the past imperfect. And as the KLI
seal states, -qo'mey poSmoH Hol.- How many of us ever gave a thought to
speaking with object-verb-subject sentence order? How many of us would be
able to think that way? How many of us could fit those sounds into our
everyday understanding of language? Or the three diferent types of plurals?
For me, it took Klingon to make it happen.

A language no one speaks- except us. And that's the intrigue of it. We are
all bringing this language to life. You've seen the exitement over each new
word. It's growing, and we are helping it grow.

And now, the most important reason...

It's FUN!!!

Now with that answered, I'd like to re-intorduce myself. I popped up a month
ago, asked a question, then silently watched the rest of you. Well, I'm not
going to be silent anymore. I'm back, I'm Brent Kesler, and I am out of the
shadows!

QIbmey Hur vIghoSta'!
Brent Kesler
-reH Hol jatlhlu'chugh, not Hegh wo'.-

(Sidenote: what exactly does >[email protected] wrote on behalf of
So-and-so< mean?)

Back to archive top level