tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 16 09:05:05 1997

Re: Why Klingon ?

ghItlh Lieven:

>> For example, ask your father if he knows what A&W is!
>>
>> Qermaq
>
>I told him about that, and other language jokes like
>beer must be {bIr} and when you drink too much of it,
>you get {HIq}-up. I also told him about that {bachHa'}-
>error in KGT and Marc Okrand's humor.
>
>After a while he said: "Oh.. and you like that? Well,..
>do what you want, being crazy doesn't hurt..."
>
>(That was why I asked you that question)

Well A&W is just an example. Many diverse topics are discussed here. But
linguistically alone, studying foreign grammar helps you understand your
own language, and yourself. Why Klingon and not Russian, French, Greek?
Perhaps it's the excitement of being in on the beginnings of a new
language. Maybe because you like Star Trek and the Klingon language has
special significance to you.

You know, we all learn something all the time anyway, might as well learn
something enjoyable. If Klingon interferes with your responsibilities,
that's bad, but otherwise it can be nothing but good. Much better than a
language you're really not interested in.

And your father is right too. Being crazy doesn't hurt, either!

Qermaq

Back to archive top level