tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 12 09:21:23 1997

Re: NOT KLBC: wej

[email protected] on behalf of William H. Martin wrote:
> I love stuff like this. But it is KLBC, so I should leave it
> for SuStel. Arrrgh!
>
> But I'm a FORMER BG. Now, I just play one on TV...
>
> ..can't... stop... my... self...
>
> my... fingers... fight... my... mind...

*shrug* If you're gonna do it, you may as well go all the way.  It saves me
the trouble of filling in the holes!  :)

> According to [email protected]:
> >
> > {wej} means not yet (adv)
> >
> > TKD 4.5 there is an example shown:
> > {wej vIlegh}
> > "I don't see him/her yet"
> >
> > I want to translate following saying:
> > "A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet."
>
> My, how... unKlingon...
>
> > 1 - should I use {ghomlu'} or {Daghom} ?
>
> Try {qIH}.

Which circumvents muHwI''s question.  We've seen {ghom} both with a plural
subject and used transitively.  I expect that {qIH} works the same way.

Exactly how you mean to use {qIHlu'} is unclear.  From your English, I'd think
of the phrase {jup DaqIHpu'bogh}, with a {wej} somewhere in the sentence to
mean "not yet."

> > 2 - {jup wej Daghompu'} ?
>
> Adverbials preceed direct objects. There is an exception for
> cases in which the object is the point of focus with {-'e'},
> but that is rare and you shouldn't worry about that since it
> does not apply here...
>
> > 3 - How will this work with the to-be construction?
>
> I think this is a proverb that does not translate well into
> Klingon in part because it is such an alien concept and in part
> because it is a to-be kind of thing. SuStel will give you the
> REAL advice here, but I can't stop myself from recasting this
> with what I think are better tools.

Supposing you wanted to do it this way, I'd say break the sentence down into
multiple, smaller sentences.  Describe a friend, and then say {nov ghaH} "he's
a foreigner."  (Which may be the best word for "stranger" in this context.  I
won't get into the slang word {Hur'Iq}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian