tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 09 10:40:16 1997

Re: Location of {-mo'}

ja' guido:
>If I am forced to prepose everything before my main verb and subject, I may
>have a lot of trouble getting to the point.

Getting to the point is fine, but if you get there too soon, you risk my
not knowing *why* you got there.  When I receive a main point, which can
stand alone as a sentence, I tend to stop parsing for a moment and think
about what it means.  If the sentence continues beyond that point, while
I am already trying to make sense of it based on what I know, I often am
caught by surprise.

>vIHoH vIneH, reH SojwIj nIHmo' 'ej 'ongwI' Dalaw'mo' Soghvetlh'e'.

Because you already know the reason before you start speaking, you don't
have any trouble with this phrasing.  But because I do not know what you
are thinking, I must wait until you are finished with the whole sentence
and then remember that the reasons apply to your wanting to kill him.  I
always find that I must read your sentences twice in order to understand
them completely.  The first time through, I get the main point, but I've
often forgotten it by the time I get the context behind it.  Once I have
the background, I can read it again, and comprehend the fullness of what
you mean.  If the subordinate clauses come first, I can stack them up in
memory without being tempted to collate them with what I've already read
before I get the full impact of the sentence.

In the final analysis, it's a matter of style and personal preference, a
choice to be made by the speaker.  That I happen to prefer *reading* the
subordinate clauses first should not be a reason for you to be forced to
*write* them that way, but I still find it a lot harder to read when the
{-chugh} and {-mo'} etc. phrases follow the main clause.

[Maybe it has something to do with my being a Pascal programmer? :-)]

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level