tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 07 20:26:46 1997

Re: Location of {-mo'}

[email protected] on behalf of Guido wrote:

> I've always gone by pg. 62's remarks on subordinate clauses. The difference
> from the noun suffix -mo' is that very long phrases can crop up in a
> "because" clause and people need a little leeway as to how they may arrange
> their thoughts.
>
> If I am forced to prepose everything before my main verb and subject, I may
> have a lot of trouble getting to the point. vIHoH vIneH, reH SojwIj nIHmo'
> 'ej 'ongwI' Dalaw'mo' Soghvetlh'e'.

Possibly, but this could just as easily be a language bias.  If verbal {-mo'}
phrases *were* restricted to the beginning of a sentence, I'm sure Klingons
would be quite used to speaking in that way.

Myself, I often find myself saying a sentence, and then having to repeat it
because I thought of a purpose clause which I wanted to add.  I couldn't stick
it at the end, so I had to start all over again.  I'm sure Klingons don't do
this, so I guess that it's my English language biases getting in the way.
Purpose clauses can get pretty convoluted, too, so I don't see your argument
against restricting {-mo'} to the beginning of a sentence as valid.

vIHoH vIneH, mubuQqa'laHbe'meH 'ej SIbI' yo' qIjDaq SuvchoHmeH.
This is NOT a valid phrase, but this one is:
mubuQqa'laHbe'meH 'ej SIbI' yo' qIjDaq SuvchoHmeH vIHoH vIneH.

But again, this is merely speculation, not fact, and not even my own firm
opinion.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian