tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 07 19:24:53 1997

Re: par maqay

ghItlh SuSvaj:

>Presumably, "parmaqay'" is derived from "parmaq" meaning love (although
how
>one uses "parmaq" is not all together clear yet.) Unlike
>"parmaq","parmaqay'" is still not a true cannon word yet, although I
>suspect it refers to a specific level of relationship, maybe akin to
"fiance."

I was going to mention in my previous post - if it were parmaqoy, we would
instantly recognize it as an endearment version of parmaq. But since it is
parmaqay, we have a few options.

a. Mispronunciation or a Paramount version of -oy
b. A new word we don't have an understanding of
c. Something else I haven't thought of

Which is it? We don't know, and we have no evidence to get any meaning out
of it. It was used as direct address, so it may be a pet name of sorts, but
wit the -ay ending we can't make presumtions about what parmaq means. And
parmaqay isn't Okrand-approved or defined, so neither parmaq nor parmaqay
is useful to us - yet. (lI'choH 'e' vItul....)

Qermaq

Back to archive top level