tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 07 14:23:23 1997

Re: KLBC: show

SuStel
(NOT SuSvaj and I apologize to both of you for continually typing the
wrong name.  I do know who you both are.)
wrote:

> On Stardate 97599.1 muHwI' wrote:
>> What's the difference between
>> {'ang} and {cha'} ("show")?
>
> Good question! Here's what I could find:
> 'ang:
> tIqlIj Da'angnIS
> quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh.
> 'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH.
>
> cha':
> wIy yIcha'
> wIy cha'
> HaSta yIcha'
>
> So far, {'ang} seems to be used for showing something personal,
> while {cha'} seems to be used for more technical stuff. {'ang} has
> been used to describe revealing something which was hidden before,
> while {cha'} has had nothing to do with things that were hidden.

!?!
Qov makes confused gibbering noises.  Read TKD. I don't have it here,
but if the word picture or visual isn't right in the definition for
cha', I'll buy a new TKD and staple it to my arm.

cha' - show, display (picture)
'ang - show, reveal

All the examples back this up.  Use cha' when the thing being
displayed is an image, picture, visual. Use 'ang in general.
wIyDaq jIHDaq HaStaDaq joq yIcha'.
nab Da'angqang, HaStaDaq yIcha'.

I didn't know the example below, and I like it.
> tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'.

It makes me wonder ...
navDaq loDnI'wI' cha'lu'
My brother's is pictured on the page?

There is an utter lack of nouns for picture/image/visual
representation in Klingon.  Perhaps we should take more advantage of
cha'.

- Qov

Back to archive top level