tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 07 08:41:47 1997

Re: KLBC: show

On Stardate 97599.1 muHwI' wrote:

> What's the difference between
> {'ang} and {cha'} ("show")?
>
> I found more examples for {'ang} than {cha'}

Good question!  Here's what I could find:

'ang:

tIqlIj Da'angnIS
You must show your heart. (PK)

tIqwIj Sa'angnIS
I must show you my heart. (TKW)

quv Hutlh HoHbogh tlhIngan 'ach qabDaj 'angbe'bogh.
A Klingon who kills without showing his face has no honor. (TKW)

'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH.
Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. (TKW)

cha':

wIy yIcha'
wIy cha'
Show the tactical display!  (TKD)  (and ST:TMP)

HaSta yIcha'
Show the visual display!  (TKD)

tlhIngan Dujmey law'qu' SommeyDaq batlh cha'lu'.
. . . and has been emblazoned upon the hulls of countless Klingon Starships.
(SkyBox SP1)

motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj jIH'a'.
. . . the main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a complex
target acquisition grid.  (SkyBox SP3)

So far, {'ang} seems to be used for showing something personal, while {cha'}
seems to be used for more technical stuff.  {'ang} has been used to describe
revealing something which was hidden before, while {cha'} has had nothing to
do with things that were hidden.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian