tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 07 11:16:39 1997

Re: New word from Okrand

ghItlh charghwI'

>Okrand never said this applied to "gate". He said door

But a door, and a gate are essentialy the same.  Even in TKD "lojmIt" is
translated as door, or gate.  In Klingon, there is no distinction.

>tunnel. He also said it only applies if these things are open.
>A rock passing through a window by breaking the glass is not
>appropriate for {vegh}.
>
>What do these things have in common? You can't pass through the
>wall without breaking it as you pass through, but you can pass
>through a window or door.

You can also pass through a forest without doing dammage, and yet, as you
said, that usage is not correct.  That's why I think it is the intended
purpose of the passage that is important here.  A tunnel, a door, or a gate
are all intended for the purpose of allowing passage, where as a forest is
not.

,Now, if TWO rocks were thrown through a window, the first one
>smashes the window and does not {vegh}, but the second might
>arguably {vegh}.

No argument there.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level