tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 06 00:02:48 1997

Re: more on vegh

ghItlh Jeremy Cowan:

>Now, here's a question for debate. I think that when walking "through"
>the halls and chambers of a ship I would expect to hear the tlhIngan
>word used for forests etc. What do you think?

True - a ship is not an aperture, but a contained area. But a hall connecting
the bridge to another room is, and then vegh would apply. But the ship is not
'vegh'ed through unless it is passed through as if it were a hallway or
tunnel. (Or like the phaser example.)

As for forests, which forest definition do you mean? The collective material
which comprises the forest, or the three-dimensional boundaries/limits of the
forest? If the first, then no vegh, since the only thing actually passed
through is air, which is clearly not vegh. If the second, I feel no as well,
but here because you are not passing 'between' surrounding limitations, you're
through the area.

Where you are walking is still the forest area. But we don't pass through the
door frame, either. We pass through the opening - that is why we vegh the
door. But if some political power passsed a ruling that along a certain trail,
with 50' in all directions, you are not 'in' the forest: well, only in that
^extreme^ case would I use vegh for a forest.

So there isn't really a fair comparison, I think, between a ship and a forest.
A ship could be veghed in the right situation, as it is a physical bulk. But a
forest by either definition can never be veghed.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level