tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 05 12:26:24 1997

Re: KLBC story: bemorngan tIqIH

[email protected] on behalf of Robyn Stewart wrote:
> KLBC Story: Meet the Bemorians
>
> loS vatlh ben Hovvam bavbogh yuQ tu' tlhIngan Hoq.

{loSvatlh} "four hundred" is one word.

> ghorDaq Qol nawlogh puS 'ej raQ cher.

We have two words referring to beaming: {jol} "beam aboard" (the canon example
is {HIjol} "beam me aboard"), and {Qol} "beam away" (used by the warden on
Rura Pente to refer to Kirk and McCoy's escape: {Qollu'ta'}).  In both of
these verbs, the subject is the person who operates the machinery, and the
object is the person who is transported.  Furthermore, neither of these means
"beam down."  I suppose for that, you'd need to say {jolHa'} (unless that
indicates some sort of transporter accident . . .).

Possibly:

ghorDaq nawlogh puS jolHa'lu' 'ej raQ cher.

>  veng potlhDaq 'el negh,

We know that the object of {'el} is the location being entered, so to avoid
the redundancy of this sentence, you simply say

veng potlh 'el negh

> tut retlhDaq qet puqmey jaq puS.

It's not yet known whether a noun can take two adjectival verbs or not.  I
don't have a problem with the concept, but we've never seen it done.  Until
it's shown to be allowed, I prefer to alter the phrase:

tut retlhDaq qet jaqbogh puqmey puS.

> negh mevmoH 'e' nID pagh.

{mev} is one of those funny verbs which will never need {-moH}.  {not mev
peghmey} shows that the subject is the thing which is halted, while {bIjatlh
'e' yImev} shows that the object is the thing that is halted.

negh mev 'e' nID pagh.

> SIbI' vaS'a'Daq 'el.

Again, the {-Daq} is redundant.  {SIbI' vaS'a' 'el}

> bemorngan joqwI'mey Deghmey je
> jottaHvIS tlhInganpu' 'ej tlhIngan Deghmey HuStaHvIS, morghbe' chaH
{jottaHvIS} "while they are being calm?"  I think you meant {jotlhtaHvIS}
"while they took them down."

> tlhInganbe' tIn retlhDaq
> Qam. bItba' ghaH, 'ach yoHtaHvIS tlhInganbe'vaD mon.

I'm not quite sure why you're combining the words {tlhIngan} and {be'}, but
they should really be separate.  This applies to all further instances of race
plus gender.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian