tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 04 01:02:56 1997

Re: New word from Okrand

ghItlh peHruS:

> I thought "a woman goes through a forest" is okay as long as she does not
go
> through any solid matter within that forest.  She may even touch the trees,
> go through an open hole in a tree, but may not force her way through the
pulp
> matter of the tree.
>
> What did I miss in the explanation?  Other than that we are all to buy MO's
> new book as an answer to the word for "window."  Perhaps he will even
reveal
> soon the other word for "pass through" matter.
>
> peHruS

______________This is what I got on 21.07.97  03:41:21:_____________
-We received a new word from Marc Okrand
-(who was with us most of Saturday afternoon and evening),
-but I'll let Alan Anderson or another member of his "team"
-reveal it -- they're the ones responsible for it.
-Well, I seem to be the first one from that team
-to get back on the list, so...
-The new word is...
-
-vegh  - to go through (v)
-
-subject - the thing that is doing the moving
-object - the thing which the subject is going through
-
-Examples:
-
-The bird goes through the window (an open window)
-The train goes through the tunnel
-He goes through the door (an open door)
-
-notice in these examples the subject does NOT physically touch the object
-
-This word does NOT work for:
-The bullet went through his heart
-His fist went through the wall
-
-notice that in these examples the subject physically touches the object;
-the bullet touched the heart as it went through it
-
-The bird going through an open window doesn't touch anything.
-
-Is this definition clear enough?
-
-DloraH  (Doq team; not the SuD team)   :P

The thing being gone through (object) must be a thing
closed from all the sides, like is a door, window, or a tunnel.
A forest will still be open, even when there are trees bend over you.
Just like a valley.
muHwI'
Stardate 97591.6

Back to archive top level