tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 03 08:39:24 1997

Re: RE: KLBC one simple question

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 14:01:37 -0700 (PDT)  "Andeen, Eric"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> One of the primary reasons for "Thank you" in English is to
> acknowledge an action. For example, when handing a weapon
> to another person, it's a good idea to make sure he has hold
> of it before letting go. The safety protocol I learned in the Boy
> Scouts was to say either "Thank you" or "I got the durned thing"
> when receiving a knife or axe.

Or perhaps "ouch" if it were not properly received...

> Another reason for "Thank you" is receiving something in the
> mail: the "Thank you" lets the sender know the package arrived
> safely. In both of these cases, the phrase "Thank you" is polite
> and functional. I would expect the Klingon to drop the polite and
> be more direct with the functional.

Unless it were a particularly fine weapon, which might inspire
real thanks. I doubt that Klingons don't thank. Why else have
the verb? But humans hand out thanks for such trivial things
that there is little respect that may be clearly shown for
situations where REAL thanks are in order. I mean, what can you
call an eight foot tall shrimp? "Jumbo"? Sorry. It's already
been used in much smaller contexts.

So, after you have thanked someone for opening a door you were
quite capable and willing to open yourself, what do you say when
someone hands you the Sword of Kahless? Hmmm? Klingons thank you
for something truely honorable or worthy of respect. Since
humans rarely encounter such circumstances, they don't
understand why Klingons don't say "thank you" for everything
else.

> When receiving a weapon, I would probably say <ghaj> for
> "I got the durned thing" (clipped). When receiving a message
> which requires acknowledgement, <jIyaj> or <jabbI'IDlIj vIHev>
> may be appropriate.

In ST3, there was a rather pointed moment when Kruge's SECOND
gunner said, {yajchu', qaH!} It fit your description rather well.

> When acknowledgement is not required
> for any reason other than politeness, a Klingon would most
> likely say nothing. I would expect <tlho'> to be reserved for times
> a Klingon wishes to express true gratitude, and not diluted by
> the formalized uses "Thank you" is subjected to by most English
> speakers.

jIQochbe'chu'.

> pagh

charghwI'