tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 01 10:43:54 1997

Re: Language jokes show English speaking bias...

On 24 Jul 97 at 20:47, Guido wrote:

> Okrand's habit of pilfering morphemes from the world over has the
> humorous consequence of your being haunted by Klingon with every
> semi-exotic language you study afterwards.

Well, I'd very much like to study more languages (exotic, semi-exotic
or otherwise) and perhaps someday I will, but for no it seems I won't
have the time and tlhIngan Hol will remain the only one. And even for
that I have little time, less than I would like. I would like to
become fluent in Klingon and build up an active knowledge vocabulary.
But for that you need to practise a lot. Put a lot of time into it.
Like when learning any old language well...

> >Qapla'
> >peSHIr
>
> Do' *Nederlands* ghItlhpatmo' tlhIngan ponglIj rurqu' ponglIj motlh.

Yes, it does. It's no coincidence. It just transliterated my name
into (romanized) pIqaD after explicitly noticing that a lot of the
sounds in Dutch (that most foreigners learning the language normally
find difficult) are just part of basic Klingon sounds. ;-)

[I'll just reply to your little Dutch text off the list.]

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level