tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 30 22:02:09 1997

RE: KLBC: Must

On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, David Trimboli wrote:

> > I can't put my finger on the -suffix but I know it has something to do
> > with beneficiary for benefactor of a certain action.

> Sounds like you mean {-vaD}.  TKD 3.3.5.

> > Perhaps something on
> > the structure of "personal prefix (You) - verb "die" - suffix "need" -
> > suffixes "beneficiary to ____" If you understand... If we are dealing on
> > the "must" concept as being for the well being of others than that of the
> > person in question... it should be translated roughly as "You need to die
> > for ____"
>
> qoror is right: for this idea, the *best* translation would just be "Die!"  If
> you're being elaborate, you might expand this to {bIHegh 'e' vIpoQ} "I require
> you to die."

True, considering that Klingons are known for their imperativeness...
"yIHegh" sounds fairly acceptable...

What about something on the lines of "It is required that you die" rather
than "<<I>> require you to die" ? Perhaps the former is better than the
latter?

> If we use {-vaD}, we get something very different.  Let's see, an example:
>
> SoHvaD jIHegh
> I will die for you.  (I will die, and you are the beneficiary of this action.)

*nods* many thanks...

Name : Q'ISto'va (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Email: [email protected]
URL  : http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~qris

Back to archive top level