tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 30 18:17:17 1997

RE: KLBC: Must

ghItlh SuStel
>No.  "You must die" is not a command, it is a statement.  No amount of
>emphasis will change the fact that this is a statement.  You are stating that
>I must die.  As a statement, this becomes {bIHeghnIS} "You need to die."  If
>you want to command me, you'll be commanding me to "Die."  {yIHegh}.

Just thought I'd throw in my own thought ... "must" doesn't always correlate
with "need to" exactly.  "Need to" seems to imply that for the person's
well-being, the person  needs to die.  "Must," in this context, doesn't mean
that -- in fact, it seems to imply that for the -speaker-'s well-being, the
person needs to die.
So, the best translation of that would be, I think, "yIHegh."
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level